Re: License of files in Documentation/pictures and ability to distribute

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: License of files in Documentation/pictures and ability to distribute them unclear
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 17:15:57 -0800

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014, Carl Peterson wrote:
> However, an alternative would be to somehow build the SVG to PNG at
> the expected size(s) as part of make. Not sure what that would take,
> though, or if it would add yet another dependency to the list.

For Debian, I'd be happy if the PNG was there so long as the SVG was
also distributed, ideally with a make rule to build the PNG. [Inkscape
is usually the easiest way to do this; I have a bunch of:

%.png: %.svg
       inkscape --without-gui --export-dpi=72 --export-png=$@ $<

or variants thereof in some of my projects.]

But the most important thing for me is just the licenses of those files;
source I can figure out in most cases.

[On a trip back from collecting grass seeds in tropical bird stomachs
and being thought by the customs agents to be transporting Marijuana.]
"Anyone so square as to tell you they are transporting grass seeds is
bound to be OK"
 -- Peter K. Klopfer _Seeds of Doubt_ Science 134:177 10 April 2009