Re: Content of "Introduction"->"Our Goal"

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Content of "Introduction"->"Our Goal"
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 10:23:12 +0100

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 02.01.2014 03:35, schrieb Carl Peterson:
>> This allows composers, transcribers and publishers to
>> create publication-quality music---beautiful music---without having to
>> spend as much time fighting the software's default settings.
>
> Is that really true (that is: can one honestly write this)?
> Regularly reading the mailing list I think that lots of LilyPond users
> often _are_ "fighting the software's default settings" too.

"without having to spend as much time fighting" is quite a weak
statement.  It's almost like "there has not been any fighting of
specific software default settings under this program".

It's not as much questionable as it is fuzzy.

I think the most important difference is that of buying a toolbox in a
shop, and of being lent a toolbox by a master artisan.  In the latter
case, you can report back your experiences, get advice for using the
toolbox to its best capabilities and sometimes get the tools improved or
extended in order to deal with your problems better.  With time, you may
learn enough to craft some tools of your own and teach others their
workings.

That is: when some fight does not make sense, you are not without power
to change the fighting ground.