Re: Notation programs usage survey

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Notation programs usage survey
Date: Fri, 09 May 2014 11:10:00 +0200

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I just received a copy of a survey that Universal Edition did amongst
> a number of "European publishing houses". I'm not sure if that' a
> public document so I only sent it to a list of addressees, if you're
> interested in it write me a private message.
>
> Not surprisingly this exclusively states Score, Finale and Sibelius.
> Interestingly it also names a number of potentially daunting
> challenges in keeping them to work for a considerable time. And
> LilyPond (or text based tools in general) convincingly address exactly
> these issues.
>
> I think I will write to the author of that survey (UE's head of IT
> department), but will wait with that until I may have a few more ideas
> and maybe some feedback.
>
> Any ideas, comments?

Well, ask Gottfried Aegler <URL:http://thoeni-edition.ch> for his
workflows.  I think he uses some sort of mechanical typewriter (the
scores are actually quite playable) and he is searching for someone to
pass his business to.  I have the suspicion that much of his equipment
will likely get turned into scrap metal when he is no longer able to
cater to business.  He is still doing arrangements, I think.

Ok, it's not really ontopic regarding programs for typesetting.  Just
something on my mind...