Re: Notation programs usage survey

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Notation programs usage survey
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 22:29:58 +0200

> Hi,
>
> I just received a copy of a survey that Universal Edition did amongst a
> number of "European publishing houses". I'm not sure if that' a public
> document so I only sent it to a list of addressees, if you're interested in
> it write me a private message.
>
> Not surprisingly this exclusively states Score, Finale and Sibelius.
> Interestingly it also names a number of potentially daunting challenges in
> keeping them to work for a considerable time. And LilyPond (or text based
> tools in general) convincingly address exactly these issues.
>
> I think I will write to the author of that survey (UE's head of IT
> department), but will wait with that until I may have a few more ideas and
> maybe some feedback.
>
> Any ideas, comments?

It's good that they realize what problems may arise from using
Fin/Sib/Score (for example the vulnerabilities of XP - a very serious
bug affecting XP was indeed discovered recently, and it seems that
some pressure was needed to persuade Microsoft to fix that bug for
XP).

Seeing such reasonable approach i find it hard to believe that they
flatly refused using LilyPond when you talked with them...
Anyway, as David said, LilyPond is not a perfect cure for these
problems - yet.  But its perspectives are, i think, better than other
software:
- it has a long history of being cross-platform, and it's mainly
developed on Linux, which - contrary to popular belief - is not that
niche of a system (for example most of IT professionals at my company
use it).  It will not become abandonware as Score.
- its quality and backward compatibility can be controlled by the user
community, and they can be improved with funding (quite possible for
big publishers).

best,
Janek