Re: Reduce size of *TeX generated pdfs with lilypond snippets

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Reduce size of *TeX generated pdfs with lilypond snippets
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 22:46:17 +0000 (UTC)

Knut Petersen <Knut_Petersen <at> t-online.de> writes:

> The attached patch (against 2.18.2) changes the way lilypond
> uses fonts to draw glyphs.
>
> It avoids to used glyphshow for all emmentaler glyphs and
> adds encoding vectors to the emmentaler fonts before they
> are used. It also changes the ghostscript parameters used
> to generate pdfs from postscript code.

I put the patch in the usual LilyPond form at
 https://codereview.appspot.com/191360043/
along with links to LilyPond history and the Ghostscript discussion.

This helps with TeX documents having several LilyPond inclusions,
but only after post-processing with pdfsizeopt.py.

My first impression that we do not want this patch, but might be wise
to go back LilyPond's former use of encoding vectors, if we can avoid
whatever problems induced HanWen to move to using glyph names in the .ps.