Re: absolute pitch entry: accept an offset octave (issue 235010043 by ad

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: absolute pitch entry: accept an offset octave (issue 235010043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 11:19:56 -0400

> On May 7, 2015, at 10:43 AM, Paul Morris <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>  \relative [optional pitch] { ...
>  \absolute [no pitch] { ...
>  \octave [obligatory pitch] { …
>
> The downside with this is that \absolute is really just a subset of the
> functionality of \octave, but they have different names.  \octave c {… is the
> same as \absolute {…

Here's another possibility with just two modes:

  \relative [optional pitch] {…}
  \octave [obligatory pitch] {…}

And then just use \octave c {…} instead of \absolute {…}.

In most cases one would simply use plain {…} for absolute-entry and would only
need to use \octave c {…} when embedding inside \relative {…}.

(Hmmm… I think I prefer this approach over the others.)

-Paul