Re: absolute pitch entry: accept an offset octave (issue 235010043 by ad

From: pls
Subject: Re: absolute pitch entry: accept an offset octave (issue 235010043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 13:06:53 +0200

On 06.05.2015, at 20:43, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Probably the best name is \octave, which was used for something
>>> similar
>>> until version 0.1.19
>>>
>>>    \octave c'' {c4 e g c e g c'1}
>>
>> Sounds OK for me.
>
> Huh.  I like the contrast \relative/\absolute better.  Particularly,
> I like a sensible default when one leaves off the pitch.

> Neither \octave { bes, c d e f } nor \octave c { c' bes as g } or
> \octave c'' { c' bes as g } seem particularly convincing.  I like
> \absolute { bes, c d e f } \absolute c { c; bes as g } \absolute c'' {
> c' bes as g } better.

Me too!  I don’t see the need for an additional \octave-command.  We change
octave positions in relative mode as well as in absolute mode by adding octave
marks.  In my opinion it wouldn’t alter the “absoluteness” of absolute mode if
it were possible to change the octave position for the whole expression (e.g.
\absolute c’’ {c’}).  It would just be another handy shortcut for
transposing/octavating expressions in absolute mode (instead of having to
add/remove individual octave marks).

patrick