Re: Master fails to compile

From: James
Subject: Re: Master fails to compile
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 17:26:17 +0100

On 22/05/15 17:11, David Kastrup wrote:
"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 4:57 PM
So I suspect that we are within the C++ standards here.  What g++
version are you using?
4.4.3.  It's the version that came with lilydev 1.1
I'm surprised it did not blow up around your ears earlier.  That sounds
about as old as we had in GUB before we were forced to upgrade in
consequence of some template usage patterns last fall.  What's the
current version of Lilydev?
Looks like it's 3.0: IIRC James created it and so would be best placed
to say what the gcc version is.  I'm quite happy to upgrade my gcc
providing it's not impossible to work out how to do it.  Don't really
want to trash my current development environment to upgrade to a later
lilydev.

Oh gosh. Now you're asking. I didn't do 3.0, I just helped start and test it. But I did do both 2.x versions.

After the GCC 4.6 bug that David K reported, we ended up jumping from 10.04 (which is I think LilyDev 1.x) to 11-dot-something which contained the 4.6 fix and so a GCC that worked.

The only thing I had to manually build was fontforge, astyle and apt-get the Cyrillic package.

But I don't remember having to do anything else specific for GCC.

I think Lilydev comes with synaptic.  Firing it up (as root) and seeing
what g++ versions it has on offer might be all that's needed.  No idea.

Yes it does come with synaptic. When you fire it up from the administration menu list, it will prompt you for root password. After that it's pretty easy to figure out.

However if you have LilyDev 1.1 it might be that your repos have not been updated (may not be either), so you might have to compile it and that would then mean a lot of mucking about I expect.

sudo apt-get upgrade gcc -s

see what that does - that according to the help would show what it would do if you ran it (simulation mode).

James