Re: Fwd: Ekiga chat

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Fwd: Ekiga chat
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2015 00:25:43 +0200

Hi David (hm, it's a bit unfortunate that you're both called David ...),

it's great to see some work going on in this field. David K's report is an interesting update, and one can see you are already "into" it.

I can't really judge your example/question because it's over my head wrt the different representation layers and syntaxes. But it looks like a good match to what David K wrote. So it seems you are on a good way.

However, I would like to repeat something that I find extremely important. In a way this might confuse you even more because it adds even more complexity to the system. But please don't let yourself be confused because it's nothing *you* should achieve in your project. However, it would be good to keep it in mind for (others') future development. Besides MusicXML there is also MEI (http://music-encoding.org), its "academic and free companion", and time is ripe to embrace this too. This will bring LilyPond a huge step forward because it will make it a viable option in "digital music edition". I'm going to publish a new post about this on Scores of Beauty in the very next days, please don't miss this.

This means that somewhere in your path, presumably before the sxml->sxml transformation we'd need a way to hook in to interface with *other* XML formats too.

Best
Urs