Fw: lilypond hosting future

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Fw: lilypond hosting future
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 05:56:23 +0200 (CEST)

A private response from Karl...  The `solution' we talk about is using
a VM on Savannah to maintain Allura by ourselves.

    Werner
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: lilypond hosting future Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 23:04:42 GMT
Hi Werner,

    Regardless of our requirements, it would be good if Savannah supports
    image display!

Agreed, but of course there's always the question of priorities.
There are so few volunteers and volunteer-hours working on Savannah.

    ... this is the solution which we should go IMHO.

Good.  I agree.  I very strongly suggest writing address@hidden
immediately to ask about setting up a VM for Lilypond to install and
maintain its own Allura instance.  That group will presumably say yes,
perhaps confirm with rms if they deem it necessary, and then instruct
the FSF sysadmins to create it.  Do not underestimate how long this
process might take, and there is no way to shortcut it.  Thus my advice
is to start now.  Even if the final decision is not made yet, you need
to start that in parallel to have a decent chance of having it available
by the time it will be needed.

This will be entirely independent of Savannah.  There seems to be some
confusion about this point.  The existing Savannah hosts are VMs on a
chunk of hardware maintained by the FSF sysadmins.  We (savannah people)
have no access to the underlying hardware and no administrative power to
do anything outside of our virtual hosts.  Thus the FSF sysadmins are
the only ones who can execute what's needed for you.

If it ends up being useful to sync anything between Savannah and Allura,
we can work on that as needed, but the two hosts would be independent.
And you guys need to maintain your Allura.  There are no
Savannah-volunteer hours available to even begin to think about it.

Best,
Karl

--- End Message ---