Re: add stencil-whiteout-outline function (issue 236480043 by address@hi

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: add stencil-whiteout-outline function (issue 236480043 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 13:16:36 +0100

On 08/06/15 19:23, Paul Morris wrote:
> Ok.  Sounds like the CG would benefit from some updating on this
> point, as it currently simply says to run makelsr (in 10.9.5)
> before submitting for review (in 10.9.9).

Yes it could be improved.

> Sounds like you are saying there’s a way to run makelsr to test a
> patch myself but then discard those changes so that what is
> reviewed doesn’t include the results of makelsr?

Yes. It's not the end of the world if you didn't do that, assuming the
changes that makelsr ends up making itself aren't too large - but you
should then make sure the commit message includes the fact that you
ran makelsr

 (I’m not sure how to do that…)  And then do a separate follow-up
patch that has the makelsr changes.

> Anyway, it sounds like I should just add the edited snippets to
> /snippets/new/ and not run makelsr as part of this patch/issue.

What I do to manually test, assuming someone has a patch with a
snippet/new change or addition but have nit run makelsr is this.

i. Run make, make test-baseline on current master to set up the reg tests.
ii. Apply patch
iii. Make sure that I 'git add' any 'new' snippets (I check using git
status)
iv. Run makelsr (it's important to remember if you use an out of tree
build - i.e. make your own build dir to make, make check etc - then
you have to run makelsr in the top level of LILYPOND_GIT and not in
the build dir itself (else it fails).
v. Once you have run makelsr then I check again with git status and
add all the new stuff that gets generated in snippets (from snippets/new)
v. make, make check
vi. make doc (that can take a while - usually step 'v's' make command
is enough to know if you have mucked something up in the doc with
regard to pointing to a snippet incorrectly in one of the manuals or
if you have munged up a snippet file name; no spaces for example).

I always make doc when I test the patch.

James