Re: Doc: avoid implicit \relative; issue 4371 (issue 237340043 by addres

From: tdanielsmusic
Subject: Re: Doc: avoid implicit \relative; issue 4371 (issue 237340043 by address@hidden)
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 11:04:44 +0000

I'm generally happy with this, but I've made quite a few nit-picking
comments.  I think it is important that the manuals rigorously show a
consistent style, particularly with regard to indentation and the
placement of block delimiters.  We frequently criticise users presenting
examples on the mailing list for bad layout, so I think the manuals must
be impeccable in this respect.

Trevor

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/learning/common-notation.itely
File Documentation/learning/common-notation.itely (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/learning/common-notation.itely#newcode243
Documentation/learning/common-notation.itely:243: \key aes \major
I wonder if it might be preferable to place the \key outside the
\relative?  This would be in keeping with the emerging opinion that we
should encourage placing \relative blocks around smaller sections of
notes.

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/learning/common-notation.itely#newcode646
Documentation/learning/common-notation.itely:646: | c2 \acciaccatura b16
c2 }
This might look prettier but it also omits a bar check at the end of the
last bar.  I'm not convinced this is a good idea.

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/learning/common-notation.itely#newcode962
Documentation/learning/common-notation.itely:962: | r4 <c e g>8.\p <c f
a>16( <c e g>4-. <c f a>) }
Last bar is not checked.  Bad advice.

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/learning/common-notation.itely#newcode1420
Documentation/learning/common-notation.itely:1420: So far we have always
used @code{\relative} to define pitches.
This is not true.  There are a couple of examples earlier where you have
used absolute pitches.

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/learning/tweaks.itely
File Documentation/learning/tweaks.itely (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/learning/tweaks.itely#newcode330
Documentation/learning/tweaks.itely:330: b c }
The LilyPond style, I believe, is to place the terminating } in line
with the corresponding \ of \relative.  Are you proposing we change
this?

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/learning/tweaks.itely#newcode2324
Documentation/learning/tweaks.itely:2324: c4( c^\markup { \tiny \sharp }
d4.) c8 }
Again, using | as a prettifying aid to the detriment of its primary
purpose.  The first one does nothing useful and the last bar is not
checked.

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/learning/tweaks.itely#newcode2439
Documentation/learning/tweaks.itely:2439: ees,2.~\)\mf ees4 r8 }
Needs final bar check and } on following line.

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/notation/ancient.itely
File Documentation/notation/ancient.itely (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/notation/ancient.itely#newcode871
Documentation/notation/ancient.itely:871: ais bis }
Misplaced }

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/notation/changing-defaults.itely
File Documentation/notation/changing-defaults.itely (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/notation/changing-defaults.itely#newcode357
Documentation/notation/changing-defaults.itely:357: }
Can you really leave out the << ... >> here?

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/notation/changing-defaults.itely#newcode733
Documentation/notation/changing-defaults.itely:733: }
Ditto

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/notation/keyboards.itely
File Documentation/notation/keyboards.itely (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/notation/keyboards.itely#newcode497
Documentation/notation/keyboards.itely:497: <d fis a>1\treCorde }
Misplaced }

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/notation/keyboards.itely#newcode525
Documentation/notation/keyboards.itely:525: \bar "|." }
Misplaced }

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely
File Documentation/notation/pitches.itely (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely#newcode407
Documentation/notation/pitches.itely:407: cis'' cis'' cis''! cis''? c''
c'' c''! c''?
Wouldn't \relative be preferable here?  And in most of the examples in
this section.

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely#newcode1280
Documentation/notation/pitches.itely:1280: \clef "treble_8" c'4 }
Misplaced }

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/diff/110001/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely#newcode1443
Documentation/notation/pitches.itely:1443: a2 b }
Misplaced }

And several more following.

https://codereview.appspot.com/237340043/