Re: thinking twice about the new issue tracker

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: thinking twice about the new issue tracker
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 10:00:28 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> The main problem I see is that questions like the usefulness of the
> documentation, scalability under duress, helpfulness of community,
> design of the codebase don't really gain a reliable answer before
> taking a full plunge.

I was missing a clear conclusion: given that (and other points I
raised), it is to be expected that exploring some option reliably is
likely going to take around 3 months.  So deciding on which option to
explore next should be done with careful deliberation.

A somewhat reasonably working interim solution will buy us the time.

Given the effort already invested in Allura and the reached state,
continuing with the current effort seems like our best bet for that goal
to me.

Has anybody asked for a DNS alias bug-lilypond.gnu.org yet?  That would
likely solve our certificate problem completely, and in the mean time at
least Firefox allows for making certificate exceptions and our
developers should vastly prefer accepting an "unfitting" *.gnu.org
certificate over using unencrypted connections with their credentials.