Re: thinking twice about the new issue tracker

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: thinking twice about the new issue tracker
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 11:00:58 +0200

Il giorno mer 2 set 2015 alle 9:33, David Kastrup <address@hidden> ha scritto:
I think that on the "evaluate other alternatives" angle it would likely
make more sense to go through with getting Allura up and running.

As we are so close to get Allura up and running, of course it makes sense. But I was trying to make a different point: there's no migration tool from Allura to some other tracker. In case we realize after a month or so that Allura was not a good choice and we'd better use something else, we'll be forced to write our own migration script. On the other hand, if we take some time to make the move and use a temporary solution (such as Github or Bitbucket) while testing other applications (such as Gogs), an import from those services is more likely to be available.

 Not Free services, I know, but at least their business model seems
 honest.

For a project of our size, the business rates of those services are not
exactly cheap.

I won't reply to your joke. You know what I meant.

 Regarding the alternatives, I found Gogs, which seems really
 promising: http://gogs.io/ https://github.com/gogits/gogs/

 The user interface is very similar to github. See for example:
 https://try.gogs.io/galaxycui28/init.el/issues/1

 The problem is that migrating from Github/Bitbucket is not currently
 possible: https://github.com/gogits/gogs/issues/809

 What do you think?

At the current point of time, we aren't even on Github/Bitbucket.  At
any rate, regarding "promising" solutions there is also the SFC-hosted
Kallithea <URL:https://kallithea-scm.org/> where we likely would get
more than marginal interest of the FSF if we got it working for us.

Unfortunately, it does not support issue tracking yet:
https://bitbucket.org/conservancy/kallithea/issues/129/issue-tracking

The main problem I see is that questions like the usefulness of the
documentation, scalability under duress, helpfulness of community,
design of the codebase don't really gain a reliable answer before taking
a full plunge.

True, that's why the test at Sourceforge is valuable. But we are already adding new issues there, which means that the final decision is made. Too quick decision IMO.