Re: thinking twice about the new issue tracker

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: thinking twice about the new issue tracker
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 10:34:18 +0200

Am 02.09.2015 um 09:33 schrieb David Kastrup:
Federico Bruni <address@hidden> writes:

Hi folks

I know that a lot of time has been invested on Allura, especially by
Trevor.  So I feel uneasy in writing this email, but I have the
feeling that the time costraint didn't help to make the best decision
for the new issue tracker.
It wasn't as much the time constraint as that this was the choice of
those volunteering to do the job once several other free solutions which
would just balk at our requirements in either size or functionality had
been ruled out.

Allura doesn't seem a software which is going to have many users: poor
user interface, impenetrable documentation (as Phil defined it and I
agree).  At the same time, the interim solution (hosting on
Sourceforge) has the ads/privacy problem.

What if we take some time to evaluate other alternatives and in the
meanwhile we use Bitbucket or Github?
I think that on the "evaluate other alternatives" angle it would likely
make more sense to go through with getting Allura up and running.

Not Free services, I know, but at least their business model seems
honest.
For a project of our size, the business rates of those services are not
exactly cheap.

I tested the Google Code Issue Exporter on a private repository on
bitbucket and it seems to work fine. Very quick, because the
attachments are just linked: you see the image inline in the issue,
but the actual file is not in the bitbucket database, it's a link to
storage.googleapi.com. As long as Google doesn't delete these files in
the future, this should be fine.
I seem to remember they announced closing that down in 2016 or so.
That’s only access via VCS – the actual data ‘will remain online for years into the future’. Which doesn’t sound fully reliable either. As a sidenote: While looking this up in <https://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/ReadOnlyTransition>, I stumbled over the second sentence which states that an alternative issue tracker is being developed by Google. But of course I don’t know anything about that, and I really think we should take the opportunity to migrate to a free host.

Yours, Simon