Re: hyphen syntax

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: hyphen syntax
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 10:02:29 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 9:54 AM, Simon Albrecht-2 [via Lilypond] <
address@hidden> wrote:

> On 17.02.2016 15:58, David Kastrup wrote:
>
> > Dan Eble<[hidden email]

> hyphen

> > It is rather common for skipping syllables in multiple stanzas since an
> > isolated - is equivalent to " ".
>
> It’s an isolated _ (underscore) you mean. A dash is indeed treated as a
> syllable.
> I think _if_ we wanted to use - instead of --, we’d have to do the same
> kind of change for lyric extenders, else it would be inconsistent. And I
> think the double items suit the advanced functionality better (advanced
> in comparison to printing a hyphen character from a font).

Funny you should mention that because I've always wondered why the
LyricHyphen doesn't actually use the hyphen from the LyricText font rather
than a dashed line. I realize that doing that would reduce the
customizability of the dash (i.e., length, thickness, dash-period, etc.),
but it might it immediately look more homogeneous regardless of the font
used because they are designed to match each other. Not a big deal, just
curious.

Best,
Abraham