Re: hyphen syntax

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: hyphen syntax
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 00:17:03 +0100

Noeck <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Simon,
>
>> You should have come back to the entire quote: ‘And I think the double
>> items suit the advanced functionality better (advanced in comparison to
>> printing a hyphen character from a font).’ I didn’t mean ‘advanced’ in
>> the sense of ‘only for advanced users’ or ‘rare’.
>
> I know. I'm sorry to misuse the quote a bit. Your sentence just made me
> want to write what I was thinking before – even though it did not fully
> fit to your statement.
>
>> But three characters versus four characters to type doesn’t seem enough
>> of a difference to justify the change.
>
> That might well be true. I am undecided myself. I think I like the
> single hyphen (syl - la - ble) still ;)

I think the main problem we should aim to solve is that the occasional
user just does not remember what's what.  __ is a lyric extender, -- is
a lyric hyphen, _ is a non-syllable-separating space, - is a normal
dash, ~ is an undertie.  All of the single-character entities will
become part of the syllable they are in (even if they are alone), the
double characters however augment the previous syllable.

That's sort of systematic, except that the system is not explained
anywhere.