Re: hyphen syntax

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: hyphen syntax
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 17:54:00 +0100

On 17.02.2016 15:58, David Kastrup wrote:
Dan Eble<address@hidden>  writes:

>>On Feb 17, 2016, at 05:18 , Jean-Charles Malahieude<address@hidden>  wrote:
>>
>>Le 14/02/2016 20:41, Dan Eble a écrit :
>>>Are there technical limitations that require typing a double hyphen
>>>to hyphenate lyrics?  Why not just one?
>>>

>>Technically, I don't know. But, in terms of coherence, I would leave
>>it as it is:
>>
>>one hyphen is treated as one syllable, just like one underscore
>>"skips" one (group of) note
>
>But is it useful for a bare hyphen to be treated as a syllable?  I
>don’t recall having seen any examples of that.
It is rather common for skipping syllables in multiple stanzas since an
isolated - is equivalent to " ".

It’s an isolated _ (underscore) you mean. A dash is indeed treated as a syllable. I think _if_ we wanted to use - instead of --, we’d have to do the same kind of change for lyric extenders, else it would be inconsistent. And I think the double items suit the advanced functionality better (advanced in comparison to printing a hyphen character from a font).

Best, Simon