Re: Delete new LSR-snippet?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Delete new LSR-snippet?
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 14:21:19 +0100

> Knut Petersen wrote Friday, December 23, 2016 11:53 PM
>
> Harm, would this be a better snippet for the LSR?
>
>>> I seem to remember a post or maybe an LSR entry for placing
>>> divisi arrows at the end of a staff.  Maybe this could be
>>> adapted to achieve the same effect more reliably?
>>>
>>> Found it  - LSR 650.  It modifies the barline stencil.
>>
>> Something like the following code  could be a base:
>>
>> \version "2.19.53"
>>
>> mpBarLine = {
>>   \once \override Staff.BarLine #'stencil =
>>     #(lambda (grob) (ly:stencil-combine-at-edge (ly:bar-line::print grob) X
>> RIGHT
>>                     (grob-interpret-markup grob mpBarLineMarkup) 0))
>>   \break
>> }
>>
>> mpBarLineMarkup = \markup \with-dimensions #'(0 . 0) #'(0 . 0) {
>>   \line {\hspace #3 \override #'(line-width . 20)
>>      \justify{This is a marginal note}
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> \paper {
>>   left-margin = 2\cm
>>   line-width = 14\cm
>>   indent = 0\cm
>>   ragged-right = ##f
>> }
>>
>> {
>>   \repeat unfold 16 { c'' 4 } \break
>>   \repeat unfold 16 { c'' 4 } \mpBarLine
>>   \repeat unfold 16 { c'' 4 } \bar "|."
>> }
>>
>> \layout {}

Thanks Knut for your code.
Though, this snippet will produce bad output as soon as something like
a key-change happens at the line-break.
Doing nothing more than an TextScript.extra-offset is at least easier
adjustable.

But it's still the fact said LSR-snippet demonstrates nothing more
than how to use 'extra-offset.

In general we have no good method how to insert Text at the right of a
score apart from using the score-markup-command. In a markup we could
ofcourse use multiple columns, etc, but the score-markup or
score-lines-markup-list-command is expensive and comes along with
other problems.
I wouldn't recommend to use it for large, multiple-pages scores.

So I still tend to delete the LSR-snippet. I'll wait a few days,
though, waiting for further thoughts on this topic.

Cheers,
  Harm