Re: adding a snippet to a patch

From: James
Subject: Re: adding a snippet to a patch
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 09:27:42 +0000

Hello,

On 11/01/17 08:08, Mark Knoop wrote:
At 15:51 on 09 Jan 2017, David Nalesnik wrote:
On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 2:00 PM, David Nalesnik
<address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I'm adding a snippet to a patch dealing with hairpins, and I'm not
sure what I need to do.

I've added the snippet to Documentation/snippets/new.

Do I then need to run scripts/auxiliar/makelsr.py and add the
resulting files to my patch for upload to Rietveld?
For testing/code review uploading a patch that also contains a makelsr.py run can sometimes end up affecting a lot of other files that are not really part of the review.

So, what others have done in the past which I think is more convenient, is to upload the patch to Rietveld *with* the snippet change but *without* the makelsr.py run.

In the 'olden' days when I had a script to download and run the tests (i.e. without any need for any kind of intervention from me other than to check the reg test output for anything unusual) I would in the cases of snippets in patches, run the tests manually and include a makelsr.py as part of the workflow for testing the patch.

This is one of the benefits of having flexible patch testing methods by the way.

Then once the patch was approved the general consensus was to apply the patch 'as is', then, in a separate commit the makelsr.py, that way it was easier to backout something that one massive patch+makelsr.py checkin.

So if you prefer to do that - let the patch test include the makelsr.py - then just make sure that is stated in the Tracker (in case the patch tester - which is usually me) doesn't notice a snippet being added/modified.

I hope that helps.

James