Re: Installing URW++ fonts, issue 4998: why not add wget lines to lilyde

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Installing URW++ fonts, issue 4998: why not add wget lines to lilydev-setup.sh?
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 16:14:40 +0200

Il giorno mer 25 ott 2017 alle 15:10, James Lowe <address@hidden> ha scritto:

I have not been able to find anyway other than manually copying the OTF files from their git repo.

There was a discussion started here

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2017-10/msg00019.html

Oh but I see you already replied to this in

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2017-10/msg00022.html

So if this is just for LilyDev then I'd just install them manually like you would for other dependencies by copying the files manually.

Hi James

Copying the files manually is not what I want.

I already have a script solution, thanks to Karlin:
https://github.com/fedelibre/LilyDev/pull/8

I was hoping that installing this new urw package would have saved me from using this script. So my implicit question was: why OpenType font files are not packaged in fedora urw-core35-fonts package?

I've just checked and debian (testing) package seems to contain also the .otf files:
https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-fonts/fonts-urw-base35.git/tree/fonts

So I guess I should ask the Fedora packagers.

Wait, I found the answer here:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/urw-base35-fonts/blob/master/f/urw-base35-fonts.spec#_88

# ==========================================================================
#
# NOTE: Fedora Packaging Guidelines (FPG) requires to use OTF or TTF format: # https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Choosing_the_right_font_format_to_package
#
# However, according to upstream, the OTF/TTF fonts cause problems # with 'pdfwrite' if we try to use them as base35 fonts. Otherwise, # they work fine, but according to upstream they will *never* be able
#          to use OTF/TTF fonts as the base35.
#
# Since AFAIK no other package/utility requires the base35 fonts, and # Type 1 fonts with the AFM files are necessary for ghostscript to # function properly, this fonts package will only use these files. We # are not shipping the OTF alongside Type 1/AFM, because that would # approximately double the size of the packages, which is not wanted.
#
# In case the ghostscript (specifically 'pdfwrite' device) will start # to work correctly with OTF fonts type, then we will make the switch.
#