Re: Installing URW++ fonts, issue 4998: why not add wget lines to lilyde

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Installing URW++ fonts, issue 4998: why not add wget lines to lilydev-setup.sh?
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 06:52:24 -0500

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 6:09 AM, Federico Bruni <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thank you Karlin, I've started having a look at it, but I don't have much
> spare time these days...
> The main problem with LilyDev master (version 5) is that it's meant for
> guile-2 migration (which seems stopped), but I guess that most of
> contributors are not interested in this and want to be able to build
> lilypond on master branch. So this is the main issue to fix in LilyDev.

How deep of an understanding of guile and LilyPond internals does
someone need to work on guile-2 migration? I am under the impression
that with anything much below David Kastrup's, it is largely out of
the question.

For LilyDev, there are also other complaints from the configure
script. I saw something from libpango, GhostScript, extractpdfmark,
and possibly more. Reporting the details of these is on my LilyPond
to-do list. I was able to resolve the GhostScript issue by cloning the
git repository, doing a checkout on the tag for version 9.20, and
compiling from source. The other packages have further dependencies,
and I didn't follow the rabbit holes to their ends.

> Or maybe I should just move to LilyDevOS and forget LilyDev. It would be
> much easier for me.

And I can mostly make LilyDevOS work for me. But I'm a Debian native,
and the Fedora environment stumbles me sometimes. And THEN there's
going to be issues with the lily-git.tcl script; for the life of me I
couldn't get it connected from the terminal window to my X display,
even after further research on the instructions for it. The setup I
had involved XRDP for remote access, so I am blaming that.

I once saw a list discussion somewhere about replacing this TCL
script, as it was the only thing in the entire project using the
language. And then I saw a - perhaps a GitHub project? - for a
dialog.sh script that aimed to have functionality like ncurses for
having a user interface right in a command-line terminal.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA