Re: Installing URW++ fonts, issue 4998: why not add wget lines to lilyde

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Installing URW++ fonts, issue 4998: why not add wget lines to lilydev-setup.sh?
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 20:56:09 +0200

> Karlin High <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 6:09 AM, Federico Bruni <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Thank you Karlin, I've started having a look at it, but I don't have
>>> much spare time these days...  The main problem with LilyDev master
>>> (version 5) is that it's meant for guile-2 migration (which seems
>>> stopped), but I guess that most of contributors are not interested in
>>> this and want to be able to build lilypond on master branch. So this
>>> is the main issue to fix in LilyDev.
>>
>> How deep of an understanding of guile and LilyPond internals does
>> someone need to work on guile-2 migration? I am under the impression
>> that with anything much below David Kastrup's, it is largely out of
>> the question.
>
> Not all that much until you hit a roadblock.  Then you yell.  The
> current roadblocks tend to be of the kind that is little related to
> LilyPond internals and a lot related to Guile and C and C++.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Some time ago Antonio worked on it, see
https://ao2.it/tmp/lilypond-guile2/
https://ao2.it/tmp/lilypond-guile2/TODO

Some patches (but slightly different) are now in master, all in
dev/guile-v2-work (you'd need to rebase dev/guile-v2-work and solve
some merge-conflicts, if you'd try to build from this branch)
My plan was to put all of his patches into master with if-guilev2-conditions.
Though, it was the agreement not to go for guile2 for lilypond-2.20.0,
so I didn't continue, because I didn't want to disturb the
2.20.-release or distracting from it.

Also, it's the question which guile-version we should aim at.
Antonio's patches are made for guile-2.0, but guile-2.2 is far more
promising, imho.

Cheers,
  Harm