Re: What's up with grob property "skyline-quantizing" ?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: What's up with grob property "skyline-quantizing" ?
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2018 16:54:14 +0200

madMuze <address@hidden> writes:

>>> David Kastrup wrote
>>There is not a single message to be found from you regarding that in any of
> the archives...
>
>>It's definitely not material fit for reentering for 2.20...
>
> I don't recall seeing a posting saying the feature was to be removed,
> so I did not preemptively protest the removal.

You did not protest it afterwards either.

> I might easily have missed the existence of that discussion. In the
> grand scheme of this project, considering the huge number of changes
> at the time and the overall excellent improvement of skylines that was
> retained, it was not a huge deal.

Was it a huge deal or not?  I quote you on this:

> The elegance is missed on a daily basis.

> It is you who brought up the question, and my impression was that you wanted
> feedback. Sorry you're unhappy that I would like to have it back.

I am annoyed that you state you have missed it every single of the 2000+
days it has been gone without so much as once mentioning it and _now_
paint this as the fault of the developers.

> It is clear that 2.20 is in the process of being hardened and that
> your work on the code at this point is for the future.
>
> I am not insisting on having this option; I do think it valuable. The
> strength of LilyPond is in the versatility. Giving the user control
> rather than hardcoding values seems to me the preferable course.

In this particular case, I don't think the terms in which the value is
written as being useful.  An adaptive solution choosing a step width
(which does not need to uniform either) based on the curve shape, like
we do with the outlines of letters, seems preferable to a subdivision
into a fixed number of segments since the latter will always render some
slurs with a much finer grain than others.