Re: where's the right margin

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: where's the right margin
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:02:04 -0400

    Mats> Actually, the linewidth setting is taken from the paper format
    Mats> you use. Also, if you use the geometry package to specify the
    Mats> page size (or indirectly by specifying the margins), lilypond-book
    Mats> should also work.

Not these days.  With 4.5 I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/lilypond-book", line 1276, in ?
    do_file(input_filename)
  File "/usr/local/bin/lilypond-book", line 1191, in
do_file
    scan_preamble(chunks)
  File "/usr/local/bin/lilypond-book", line 651, in scan_preamble
    scan_latex_preamble(chunks)
  File "/usr/local/bin/lilypond-book", line 634, in scan_latex_preamble
    paperguru.set_geo_option(k, o[k])
  File "/usr/local/bin/lilypond-book", line 191, in set_geo_option
    self._set_dimen('m_geo_'+name, value)
AttributeError: LatexPaper instance has no attribute '_set_dimen'
make: *** [gulliver.ps] Error 1

    >> I'm putting lilypond file (which come in without the headers) into a
    >> latex document.  And I actually want to print the composer name in the
    >> usual place.  There is probably a more sophisticated way to do this,
    >> but I would have thought:

\newcommand{\composer}[1]{\begin{flushright}{\textsl{#1}}\end{flushright}}
    >> \composer{Georg Phillip Telemann}
    >>
    >> would have done the trick, and it doesn't look right.

    Mats> One possibility is to use the functions used within ly2dvi,
    Mats> see the example file Documentation/user/latex-example.latex.

I tried that.  My problem is that I'm doing the lilypond-book in the
first place because I want LaTeX to do some of the work that the
standard headers are doing (section numbering, table of contents,
etc.).  But I do want the tunes to be in separate lilypond files, that
lilypond can print for test purposes.

The amount of time I spent playing with the latex-example file
yesterday wasn't sufficient to show me how to do this -- I could get
the headers out of a \begin{lilypond}...\end{lilypond} construct that
included the notes, but not print just the header and have the notes
come out of a \lilypondfile{...}.

Speaking of latex-example.latex, shouldn't it be named
latex-example.lytex?  lilypond-book is quite happy to do its thing and
turn the original latex-example.latex into a latex-example.latex that
can be used as an input file to latex, but then you can't use it as an
example of how you should write an input file for lilypond-book.  And
the makefile in the Documentation/user directory won't automagically
create it in the out/ directory the way the makefiles in the input
directory do.

    Mats> Otherwise, you could get a right aligned line of text with
    Mats> \rightline{Georg Phillip Telemann}

No, I don't.  That is, obviously it's right aligned with something
(probably the TeX right margin), but it's noticeably to the right of
the right edge of the music.

If anyone wants to see what I'm doing, any of the lilypond .zip files
on my site will work, e.g.,
http://www.laymusic.org/music/dowland/allye/allparts.zip.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139