Re: Font problem, Xdvi, quite urgent.

From: David Pirotte
Subject: Re: Font problem, Xdvi, quite urgent.
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:26:00 +0200

Amelie Zapf wrote:

Amelie,

if you are using a distribution that includes tetex, then
the following suggestion might help you:

        1. get the latest xdvi-22.48

                ftp://ftp.math.berkeley.edu/pub/Software/TeX/

        2. ./configure --with-tetex (or --with-tetex=PATHLIST) (and other
           options you would want of course (but not --enable-ps..., this
           will be properly be set by this option))

        3. make, make install

        4. find and edit the file 'texmf.cnf', mine is in /etc/texmf/

                add the following lines:

                % drp/01.10.13 as recommanded by xdvi-22.48 install
                PKFONTS.XDvi    = .:$TEXMF/%s:$VARTEXFONTS/pk/{%m,modeless}//
                VFFONTS.XDvi    = .:$TEXMF/%s
                PSHEADERS.XDvi  = .:$TEXMF/%q{dvips,fonts/type1}//
                PSFIGURES.XDvi  = .:$TEXMF/%q{dvips,tex}//

           be carefull, these lines has to come BEFORE any occurence of the same
           variables (that would not have the extension (i.e. PKFONTS, VFFONTS
...))

this should solve your problems with respect to TeX and Latex, at least it did
for me, but there are still the other things to do which are well described in
INSTALL.txt with respect to tetex (and SuSE, the distribution I use)

hope it helps
david