Re: Re^2: Font problem, Xdvi, quite urgent.

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Re^2: Font problem, Xdvi, quite urgent.
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:40:08 +0200

> Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > However, both Lilypond,
> > xdvi and dvips should be able to find the necessary fonts. Note that
> > $MFINPUTS should end or begin with a colon, so TeX finds the default
> > fonts as well.
>
> Here may lie part of the problem.  When configuring xdvi, you can
> specify --with-tetex, but I also had to set
>
>   --with-default-texmf-path=PATH
>                           set default texmf list to PATH
>
> because --with-tetex assumed tetex to be installed in /usr/local.
> In addition, there are some
>
>   --with-default-font-path=PATH
>                           set default font path to PATH
>
> style options to be used.  Xdvi (that's not xdvik) is also
> particularly broken in that it looks at its own executable name, ie,
> xdvi may work but break when you rename the binary to xdvi.bin, and
> run it through a script (something that most linux distros do).  In
> that case, you'll have to edit /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf, and add fontpaths
> for the new name, eg:
>
>     PKFONTS.xdvi.bin    = .:$TEXMF/fonts/%s:$VARTEXFONTS/pk/%m//
>     VFFONTS.xdvi.bin    = .:$TEXMF/%s
>     TFMFONTS.xdvi.bin = .:$VARTEXFONTS/tfm//
>
> I've complained to the xdvi author and sent a patch, but he disagrees
> with GNU standards and seems to think that looking at argv[0] is a
> neat trick.

The real problem (or feature) is that large parts of the
texmf.cnf file relies on the magic variable $SELFAUTODIR
which is set from argv[0] of the calling program. Very
convenient as long as you place all programs in their standard
location, but a problem otherwise.

> That's why I advised to run strace; you can quite easily check whether
>
>    * xdvi really opens /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf
>    * xdvi walks the desired fontpath (you can prepend a dummy
>      directory name like /URG/ to a particular path, to see if it
>      starts looking there).

If you want to debug the Kpathsea file searching, I suggest
using the $KPATHSEA_DEBUG variable instead, see 'info kpathsea'.

   /Mats