Re: Timing_engraver and \remove - \consists in general

From: William R Brohinsky
Subject: Re: Timing_engraver and \remove - \consists in general
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 19:21:38 -0400

I really appreciate the help, Han-wen! Thank you! This was exactly what
I needed, the code fragment was enough to get the entire piece formatted
correctly, except for one minor problem...

I can't get a final barline to appear. The attachment is an abbrevement
of my code, showing the first nine and last nine breves of the music I'm
transcribing. This clearly shows that the barring solution works
perfectly. Originally, for the final barline,  I had one \bar "|." in
the cantus part. (This has worked well in the other 32 pieces I've
transcribed so far). Since it came after the scheme code and in the same
block, I thought maybe it wanted to be 'outside' those blocks, so I
moved it to the \global block (which is otherwise unused in this
transcription, but usually holds the time signatures, separated by
blocks, so that I can experiment with triplas via either time signatures
or via triplet-markings with a minimum of misery). The skip is right,
because adding an extra three breves adds three/one extra empty measures
in all the parts, but still with just a single thin barline at the end.
Changing to other barline types and reducing the \skip value still
leaves nothing in the entire piece but thin barlines.

My guess is that something that has been turned off needs to be turned
back on?

Although I'd love to understand why this doesn't work like this, and how
it wants to be treated, I'll be perfectly happy for a quick-and-dirty
fix, and try to understand it later. This is the only
poly-time-signature piece in Odhecaton. This will be handy later,
though, because I do intend to have at some of the better of the
mensural canons...

Some of us are gluttons for punishment!

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Also  -- this is pretty nonstandard stuff, I wonder if this should be
> in the regular manual at all.

I can't say if it should be in the manual, but it should be _somewhere_.
Maybe this deserves to be in the tips and tricks, under the 'quicksand
and rabid aardvarks: tread with caution' heading? 8^)

raybro