Re: Lute tablature

From: Taco Walstra
Subject: Re: Lute tablature
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 10:55:12 +0200

On Friday 16 May 2003 23:14, Laura Conrad wrote:
>     >> I don't think any tab format does distinguish cis from des.
>
>     Rune> No, exactly! This is why you cannot turn a tab into music.
>     Rune> A tab is performance-notation and not music-notation. Hence I
> don't Rune> see any point in making lily convert tabs into its internal
> music Rune> representation.
>

> I was just asking lily to print tab; I didn't say it should convert it
> into anything.
>
> It can consider it a funny kind of lyrics, for all I care.
>
> The abctab2ps tab output is really good, but the staff notation of the
> vocal line reminds me of why I switched to lilypond.

Laura, you're fully right. I maintain an archive with early music typeset in
abc (or perhaps better abctab), mostly lutemusic + some figured bass pieces.
(www.wins.uva.nl/ABCArchive). The nice characteristic of abc is the easy
entering of the music (it takes about 50% of the time to typeset a piece in
abc compared with lily). abc is however very primitive (I saw some nice dutch
remarks about the syntax in the abc2ly python script, which are indeed true).
For lute tablature it's ok, but for more complicated scores it's not. I moved
over to lily for my figured bass scores, especially because singers always
want to transpose a piece to a different key. for combinations of lute
tablature + voice / simple staff I still use abctab however, because lilypond
support for tab is still very incomplete for lutetablature. Would be nice
however if support is improved. About your Dowland edition: EVERY luteplayer
prefers the lutetablature to some modern notation. A tablature part should
exist in every dowland edition.
Taco Walstra