Re: partcombine doesn't work with 'clashing notecolumns'

From: David Boersma
Subject: Re: partcombine doesn't work with 'clashing notecolumns'
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:07:40 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Arie,

> I tried to put double voices on some staffs with \partcombine but the
> second staff doesn't work. The interpreter complains as follows:
>
> Interpreting music...[8][9]
> Preprocessing elements...
> Calculating column positions... warning: Too many clashing notecolumns.
> Ignoring them.
> warning: Too many clashing notecolumns.  Ignoring them.
> warning: Too many clashing notecolumns.  Ignoring them.
>

> The .ly file is the given below. Is it possible to get a proper
> partcombine, or can I just simply forget it?

First: I guess it would be a good idea to upgrade from 1.6.2 to 1.6.10

Second: I see that both in the alto Voice...

> [...]
>             \context Voice = voiceAlt {
>                 \global
>                 \partcombine Voice
>                 \context Thread = threadOne \musicAltOne
>                 \context Thread = threadTwo \musicAltTwo
>             }

... and in the tenor Voice ...

> [...]
>             \context Voice = voiceTen {
>                 \global
>                 \partcombine Voice
>                 \context Thread = threadOne \musicTenOne
>                 \context Thread = threadTwo \musicTenTwo
>             }

... you use Threads with names threadOne and threadTwo. Maybe you should
rename them to be different, because I suspect now Lily is trying to twist
herself into impossible directions in order to squeeze musicTenTwo into
the same thread as musicAltTwo on the other staff.

Groeten uit Berlijn,
David

--
David Boersma