Re: Debian (Sid) packages for Lilypond 1.9.5

From: Pedro Kroger
Subject: Re: Debian (Sid) packages for Lilypond 1.9.5
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 10:41:19 -0300

* Jan Nieuwenhuizen (address@hidden) wrote:
> > I don't see why not.

> Because it will cost you some time and you should be willing to keep
> it up for a while;

well, that's how development of free software works :-)

> you'll probably need to be(come) a debian maintainer and do (or help
> Anthony add) a 'new' package called lilypond-snapshot or something.
> It would be very nice, though.

the "new" package idea is very good. I was thinking of 1.9.x replacing
1.8 which now doesn't sound good because 1.9 is a development series.

> > Should I contact the lilypond debian maintainer (Anthony Fok) and
> > ask how I could help?

> Yes, but it wouln't hurt to have something of a plan first.

you're right. Since the debians are very strict with the way packages
are created, uploaded, etc, I'll need to read the docs to get more
knowledgeable. Having a "new" package will imply on installing the
binaries in a different place than 1.8 and having a different name (in
case one wants to install both 1.8.x and 1.9.x). But, AFAIK, they
already have standards ways of handling cases like that. I'll check it
out.

Pedro