Re: Debian (Sid) packages for Lilypond 1.9.6

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Debian (Sid) packages for Lilypond 1.9.6
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:11:52 -0400

On Wednesday 17 September 2003 08:41 am, Pedro Kroger wrote:
> Debian Sid packages of Lilypond 1.9.6 are available from my website:
>
> http://www.pedrokroeger.net/lilypond/
>
> They're also apt-gettable adding the following line to sources.list
:

> deb http://www.pedrokroeger.net/lilypond/ ./
>
> And running the commands:

apt-get update

apt-cache showpkg lilypond

# the following for the
# timid or lazy, who weren't sure about
# all that stuff on the screen,
# like me :-)

apt-get -s install lilypond=n.n.n-n

apt-get install lilypond=n.n.n-n

With apt-cache showpkg lilypond I don't have to browse your page
or debian's to see what versions are available.  You don't want to
suggest running "install lilypond" without seeing what versions are
available and what their dependencies are do you?

Try it, you'll like it.  Could you put a textfile in your lilypond (for
download) directory showing the commands?

My installation of 1.9.5-1 and doc worked perfectly.

I'm all between distributions right now, but like every lilypond
debian user who is not developing debian I run testing and/or stable,
so I only install those items from sid absolutely necessary to run
lilypond-unstable.

I know many users would like the more usable versions of
lilypond-unstable to be compiled for debian-stable if possible.
Testing should usually be possible also.  A version of anything with
"sid" on it makes people nervous, as well it should.

What I mean is that lilypond-unstable doesn't mean "Gonna
bust your system!" but debian-unstable does.

Thanks again, Pedro, for doing what you're doing.  And to
all the lilypond team, thanks for a program which still has a
long way to go, but is already the best music typesetter available
anywhere.  daveA

--
Why should any country entrust its young people to the leadership of
the same