Re: replace chords by text in chordnames

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: replace chords by text in chordnames
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:59:42 -0400

On Friday 10 October 2003 05:14 am, José Luis Cruz wrote:
> I wonder how could i enter my own text in a ChordNames staff. I want
> to have a chordnames all at the same vertical distance, but sometimes
> i also want to insert symbols, parenthesis, and texts. So, if i
> put a markup each note, it is created at his own height, and it's not
> good looking.
>
> So.. anybody knows how to make a staff with only markups, all at the
> same height? Like chordnames, but with the text i want. And with
> durations, like chordnames, to coincide with notes. I have thought if
> not doing it with lyrics, but doesnt convince me much. It would be
> great to modify the list of chords in chordnames. Anyone have done it
> before?

I have been doing chords as fingering, but I have been too lazy so far
to make another staff, shrink it to one line, make it and its notes
totally invisible, shrink its vertical space, and then finger it with
chords.  If there is a percussion staff involved, fingering that is an
easy way to insert chord symbols.  I don't use lilypond's chords
because I hate the font, I hate the symbols, I hate the usages, and I
can't stand the cryptic syntax from Mr. Banter, with its dots and
dashes and colons.

If you do old fashioned jazz chords, as developed in the fifties to get
rid of the minuses and plusses and other illegible crap that had
accumulated over the previous 40 years or so, the only special symbols
you need are the sharp and the flat, which you can get \sharp and
\flat.

See the "Ten Lessons" on my website.  daveA

--
Br`er Fox told Br`er Rabbit that the Tar Baby had dissed him, and Fox
made a