Re: Newbie question: Repeat bars

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Newbie question: Repeat bars
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 14:40:40 -0500

On Wednesday 05 November 2003 05:02 am, Thomas Scharkowski wrote:
> Datum:        Wed, 05 Nov 2003 10:23:03 +0100
> Von:                  Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden>
> An:                   Thomas Scharkowski <address@hidden>
> Kopie an:             address@hidden
> Betreff:              Re: Newbie question: Repeat bars
>
> > Take a look at
> > http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2003-10/msg00234.htm
> >l to learn how to handle the accidental placement.
>
> Thank you.
>
> > I haven't checked any references on music typesetting, but I'm
> > certain that the notation used in LilyPond for :||: repeats
> > corresponds to standard conventions. What layout did you have in
> > mind and do you have any reference where it is used?
> >
> >     /Mats
>
> For repeats in the middle of a line I have the following layout in
> mind:
>
> Five elements:
>
> ":" "thin line" "heavy line" "thin line" ":"
>
> Reference: "standard notation practice", Music Publishers'
> Association of the United States, Inc. (c) 1966, 1993
> (See attachment: repeat.pdf)
>
> I have found the lilypond-practice (four elements: ":" "heavy line"
> "heavy line" ":") in Bärenreiter 320 (Bach Suite for solo Cello ed.
> Wenzinger (c)1950 now. This is why Lilypond uses it!
> I also found this in other Bärenreiter editions (e.g.J.S. Bach: Neue
> Ausgabe sämtlicher Werke), but everywhere else I looked I found the
> former.

In my copy of the Carcassi Book, engraved 1853 and typeset probably
1924,
the old fashioned double thick is used.  I actually prefer it, but of
course the modern usage should also be available.  daveA

--
When you've dug yourself into a hole, the first thing you should
do is not to call for more shovels, but to *stop digging*.