Re: fonts, etc., in 2.1.17-1

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: fonts, etc., in 2.1.17-1
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:09:00 +0000

I recently updated my LilyPond installation (currently at 2.1.16) and tried
out the easy scaling to arbitrary sizes.  That's great!  I was playing with
it a bit to see how far it would go.  I actually had it do a short example
at 1pt and it did it.  It was unprintable, of course, and even at a large
magnification it was unusable (but I didn't expect it to be, either).  I
was not able to do a particular score of mine at less than 6pt.  I ran into
some TeX memory problem.  I doubt that I'll need anything so small but I
was wondering if I was really running up against a TeX memory problem or if
it was something else masquerading as a TeX memory problem.

Kieren said:

>Well, my instinct is that the noteheads are now too round (i.e., not
>enough x-axis size), and the more I look at them the more confident I
>feel in my instinct.

I have to agree.  At the same time, however, I have to say that I notice
the "more roundness" at smaller point sizes.  I compared something at 13pt
with 2.1.16 with the same thing done in 2.1.0 and I thought the shape from
the earlier Feta version was a bit more to my taste.  Perhaps splitting the
difference is the way to go.  For really small sizes, however (is somebody
going to use LilyPond to make a pocket score?) a rounder black note head
might be easier to read.

-David