Re: fonts, etc., in 2.1.17-1

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: Re: fonts, etc., in 2.1.17-1
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:16:44 -0500

Hello, Han-Wen:

I'm not 100% sure I agree with how far "to the round" you took the
black noteheads, but I'm waiting until I live with them for a while
before arriving at my final judgment.

We're also not sure - let me know what you think.

Well, my instinct is that the noteheads are now too round (i.e., not enough x-axis size), and the more I look at them the more confident I feel in my instinct.

I've compared both new and old noteheads against several different sources, both traditional (Peters, Henle, Universal, etc.) and computer typeset (Warner Bros., Finale, Igor Engraver). There is definitely a large range of slant angles across the samples, but my eye tends to prefer those that err less towards round shapes (i.e., a nearly vertical axis of symmetry) and more towards elliptical (i.e., a more humanist, tilted axis).

Looking back at Feta ca. v2.1.10, I can see why you felt it looked a bit "frantic"; however, I believe I prefer it to the current shape. Perhaps splitting the difference would be a good next attempt?

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

p.s. while we're on this subject, do you need me to work on the font issue we discussed earlier (re: Unicode encoding, ability for Illustrator to read them, etc.)? I can't remember where that left off...