Re: more parts in one .ly

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: more parts in one .ly
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:14:13 +0100

Zbyněk Burget wrote:
Hello,

I'm beginner with lilypond and I've some (may be) small problems. This is
one:

Can I have more parts in one .ly file? I need write a score for choir and
orchestra and parts for individual instruments. I've written all instruments
and voices and header information. If I write more sections /score {} (for
every part) to .ly file, header is printed only on the first page, new part
begins instantly after previous part...
Can it write all parts incl. score in one .ly file so that every part begins
on the new page, every part have a complete header (with the labelling of
instrument), every part restarts page numbering?

Currently, the lilypond script does not support this. One of the
main reasons is that there are so many different possibilities on
how to do the layout. Some people might want to print a song book
where each piece has a new full title but does not necessarily start
a new page. Others, like you, want not only a new page but also the
page numbering reset. Some want the instrument name in the page header,
whereas others want it printed in the title. Of course it would be
possible to add this support in lilypond but it would lead to a number
of new options that complicates both the program and the usage.

One way to handle your problem is to have all the music defined in
one (or a few) files but add a file for each instrument that just
contains \input "..." and the \score{...} declaration, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/An-orchestral-part.html.

Another solution, that I often use, is to make a single LaTeX file
with embedded LilyPond code and run lilypond-book on that.
This gives you the possibility to typeset all the instrumental parts
from a single source file (even though, you typically want to have the
actual music in another file that's \input for each part) and also
gives full freedom to design the page layout, at will.
This is described briefly in the last section of the Tutorial.
An example can be found in
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2003-10/msg00369.html

Thanks

Zbynek

P.S.: sorry for my English...   :-(

It's no problem to understand what you mean!

  /Mats