Re: question: volta + dynamics

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: question: volta + dynamics
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 09:40:07 -0500

On Friday 12 March 2004 23:57, Edward Sanford Sutton, III wrote:
> On Friday March 12 2004 12:01, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> > On Friday 12 March 2004 10:20, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> > > David Raleigh Arnold wrote:

[snip--difficult to tell what's off list now, with the delay]

Mozart used fp a lot, when there was no such thing as sfz, so I was
wrong, sort of.  I have examples of 2 pf's in the volta sense in one
book engraved in 1853.  How could fp or pf mean the same thing on guitar
or piano as it does on arci or winds?  In Mozart's time, notation was no
longer used for guitar music.  Alfabeto had become too complex to apply
to five courses of strings, there were already works in tab for a guitar
of four courses, and the guitar had become the little sister of the
lute, which was on its way out.  There were decent musicians playing the
6 string guitar soon after, and they avoided tab like the plague it is.
Point:  When Mozart was writing pf's, there was no guitar notation,
only tab.

Add the hyphen to that, and I believe the people who say they have
routinely seen it, and you have a complete mess.  There is also poco
forte, which means to play a little louder, for example between
p and mp.  It does not mean somewhat loud.  There are also mpf
and other combinations.  The midi just can't match the markup in any of
that.  I still think it would be good to simplify the process of
applying different dynamics to the engraver and performer where
necessary, since it is necessary often, and anything simplifying the
process of producing different engraved and midi versions would also be
very welcome.

Thanks for the two-score solution.  Useful idea.

Is \midge{#midge syntax} a possibility?  The developers should talk
to each other.  I have never seen or heard of two projects so
complementary, since midge is midi only.  daveA

--
It's not that hard to understand the lesson of Viet Nam.  Never never
never never defend one tyrant against another, because The worst thing