Completion_heads_engraver problem

From: Warren Stickney
Subject: Completion_heads_engraver problem
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:49:18 +1300

Hi group,

System: Lily 2.0.1, Cygwin

The Lily manual gives one of the uses of the Completion_heads_engraver as
debugging complex scores.

However other very powerful uses are:
1 Constructing "barred" Lily files from midi input (midi2ly), and
2 Producing Lily files using pre-barline notation as in early music, and
simply using
\property Score.defaultBarType="empty" with or without a %
to give "non-barred" or 'barred" output as required.

A problem arises when rests occur since these are not broken across barlines
as are the notes.  While they can be manually corrected this defeats easy
use as in 2 above.

eg
voiceSopA = \notes \relative c'' {
\key c \major
\time 2/2
c4 c c2.   c2 c4
}
voiceSopB = \notes \relative c'' {
g4 g r2.   r2 g4
}

Use of  a syntax in the paper block such as
                \translator {
                  \ThreadContext
                  \remove "Note_heads_engraver"
                 \remove "Rest_engraver"
                  \consists "Completion_heads_engraver"
                                   }
does not help, it seems that the Completion_head_engraver cannot process
rests.

So I suppose this is not really a bug, but rather an enhancement that I feel
would be very valuable.

Can you good folk confirm that what I want is, or is not, possible at
present.  If not, how can it be handled, are requests for enhancements
forwarded through the same channels as for bugs.

Thanks,

Warren Stickney
Wellington,
New Zealand