Re: MIDI output, just checking

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: MIDI output, just checking
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 11:09:19 +0200

The problem lies in MIDI, not in LilyPond, since MIDI typically
can handle only 16 channels. LilyPond uses a new channel for
each Staff, so that's why you see the same limitation also in
LilyPond. One trick could be to combine several voices in a
single Staff, with the limitation that these voices have to
use the same MIDI instrument. If you want another allocation of
voices to staves in the MIDI than in the printed music, you could
make a separate \score declaration for the MIDI output.

   /Mats

Darius Blasband wrote:
Hello list,

I still use a version 2.03, and it works really well. I'm a bit reluctant to
move to the latest version, as my source is crippled with m4 macros
up to a point where convert.ly cannot be used.

However, I now encountered an annoying problem. I understand that
it is unlikely to be corrected in the old version I'm using; I just wondered whether it was in the more recent ones, so that it might be a good incentive
to upgrade.

Apparently, when generating MIDI output with more than 16 staffs, the
content of the 17th and beyond is totally bogus. It really seems to be a
Lilypond issue, as the problem persists no matter how the MIDI file
is handled afterwards (played directly, imported into Cubase, etc...)

Is there a 16 more or less hard-coded limit there ?

P.S.:  I understand that there has been quite a few messages about MIDI
         output, please excuse me if I missed the one that answered my
         question.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems