Re: Rasgueado notation in LilyPond?

From: Gunther Strube
Subject: Re: Rasgueado notation in LilyPond?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:21:02 +0200

Hi,

What is the difference with an arpeggio with a direction?  Have you seen:

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Arpeggio.html

I cannot find Rasgueado in the music glossary.

That's it!

I forgot that it was used as arpeggio notation for piano.

Excellent!!!!

In flamenco and classical guitar litterature, it is also used to express the "roll-strike" of the accord on all 6 strings with all
right-hand fingers (beginning with ring-finger and ending with the
thumb)- in other words the Rasgueado...

(As you've guessed, I'm a LilyPond beginner and have tried to grasp all
documentation in LilyPond too quickly!)

You'll have to use TeX or PS tricks for that.  See, eg,

   http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2003-12/msg00152.html

I think I found something:
http://openguitar.com/files/bachbouree.zip
(open the PDF and look at staff line 4)

this is what the source code says:
d'4^"$\\!\\!$\\textcircled{\\textsc{g}}"

That's really way too much coding and completely unreadable!

Couldn't you implement a command-like system like the fingering
notation, but that enables you to specify a string number
for a given note (with the same ability to identify direction (top,
down, left right, etc)?
There's two systems; numbering the guitar stings 1 - 6 and enclosing
them in a circle (most common).
the other is to use the note letters of the notes (E, A, D, G, H, e) and
enclosing them in a circle  (which is far less used).

It would really enhance guitar litterature production tremendously with
LilyPond! If you implement it, I'll be at your service to aid in something else for the project. I haven't got the cash for paying for the feature, but I'll gladly help out in the project in some way.

I'm a dane; maybe I can work on some of the localisation, or even write
some documentation on features that Guitar users need? The fingering and tabulature is the most specific stuff I found for guitarists. But there's a lot more examples that could be made to aid guitarists.

You can have a look at my page, http://duoosto.dk (a danish flute-guitar
duo homepage).

Yours,
Gunther.