Re: Lyrics, Tab, Titles - simple questions

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Lyrics, Tab, Titles - simple questions
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 15:29:57 +0200

se.e wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mats Bengtsson" <address@hidden>

se.e wrote:

Hi all!
I'm a new Lilypond user and I've some very simple questions for you.

1) Titles -- I have:
tagline= "copyright©2004"

Why in the .pdf '©' is only a 'c' (there's no circle)? This don't works

with

'®' too.

It works fine here. I hope you use a text editor that saves the file
in latin1 encoding (also called ISO 8859-1).

Eheh...you hope but I don't know! :)
Seriously, I used NotePad (win98) but I haven't options, I can only choose
the font. In these days I'm tryin' Vim but I don't save the file as
'latin1', I save it 'as *.ly'....am I wrong? I use the dafault font
(Fixedsys). I also have different files type from menu/syntax but there
aren't 'latin1' or 'Lilypond'. Except for the '©' and '®', to me it seems
that all works good (using 'save as *.ly).

At least in NotePad for WindowsXP, there is an option in the Save As
window, where you can choose Encoding: ANSI (which is exactly what
you want). I don't remember if you have the same option in Win98.
The encoding just specifies how the different characters are saved in
the file. For the ordinary letters of the English language, more or less
all computers agree, but for more uncommon characters like © or a*, there
are many different standards.

As an alternative, you can use the LaTeX command
tagline= "copyright\\copyright{}2004"

I wrote this in the 'header' but don't works.

What do you mean by "doesn't work"? This should definitely work.
Do you get error messages from lilypond? If not, what do you get
in the PDF file?

2) Tablature --
if I've a chord (ex. {<<d a d'>>} ), in the .pdf there is a line cross

the

numbers, why? And...is it possible to choose line-up or line-down (from

the

number)?

I leave tablature questions to others.

No problem! I just add that it seems that '\stemUp' and '\stemDown' don't
work in tablature (as fingerings like 'c-2').

I've never used tablature, but it seems to me that the stem typesetting
should be done exactly as for normal music, so I don't really understand
why it doesn't work.

   /Mats