Re: How to lengthen dynamics hairpin

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: How to lengthen dynamics hairpin
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:37:44 -0700

On 24-Aug-04, at 2:27 PM, Bertalan Fodor wrote:

I was thinking about it and I think the problem is general with dynamics. I suppose they shouldn't start and end where they do now. They start too late and end too soon. The latter is more important. Some hand-engraved score could help deciding this. Generally I feel that the < and > mark should include the noteheads they belong to.

I think that < > _do_ belong to the notehead; their beginning looks good to me. It's the ending that's troubling. A few weeks ago there was some discussion about adding something for cresc and dim:

c4\< c2.\!!

which would draw the crescendo until the end of c2., instead of to the beginning. However, the Lilypond developers have been very busy.

Patches always appreciated.  :)
- Graham