Re: Error in new articulation _

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Error in new articulation _
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 23:03:36 -0800

Please keep LilyPond emails on the mailing list; that way the answers are archived
and everybody can search for them.

I must admit that I was wrong about the Britten suites, but it's possible that somebody, somewhere, wants the line closer to the notehead. We could probably remove the -_ articulation without any problems, but since it's there now we might as well leave
it in there.

I don't think that changing the language simply in order to save a few keystrokes is a good idea -- especially since it doesn't clearly save keystrokes. ---. is very simple
to type; -_ requires the use of the shift key.  :)

Note that ---. and -.-- simply tells LilyPond "put a legato mark and a staccato mark on this note". LilyPond then puts the marks in the normal order, with the dot closer to the notehead. If we add -> to the mix, LilyPond would place that in the proper
place as well, regardless of the order of symbols.

Cheers,
- Graham