Re: moving ledger lines over

From: Carl Bolstad
Subject: Re: moving ledger lines over
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:22:49 -0800

> On 12-Feb-05, at 4:38 PM, Carl Bolstad wrote:
> > I've been using (and loving!) LilyPond for about six months, and now I
> > need to make a tweak that I just can't figure out. I have moved a note
> > over a little bit, but I can't move the ledger line for it to match.
>
> Try using the force-hshift property; it's documented in the polyphony
> section of the manual.
>
> http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/lilypond/lilypond.org/doc/v2.4/Documentation/
> user/out-www/lilypond/Writing-polyphonic-music.html
>
> Cheers,
> - Graham

Thanks, Graham! I read the documentation on the force-hshift property
and played around with it a bunch, and I found that sometimes it works
and sometimes it dosen't. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in the actual
file that I'm working on. Here is a test file that's more nearly like
my real file, which is a setting (for Mutopia) of the last movement of
the Bb Partita by JS Bach:

\version "2.4.1"

\score {
 \context PianoStaff <<
  \context Staff = "up" {
     \key f \major
     \change Staff = "down"
     f,4 \change Staff = "up" f' f''2
     f'4 f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f'
  }
  \context Staff = "down" {
     \clef bass
     \key f \major
     s8*2/3 a c'
     \change Staff = "up"
     s a' c'' s2
     \change Staff = "down"
     f4 f f f f f f f f f f f

Notice how, in the first measure, the 8th notes (or their stems) bump
into the quarters. OK, here's the same file with the force-hshift
property solution:

\version "2.4.1"

\score {
 \context PianoStaff <<
  \context Staff = "up" {
     \key f \major
     \change Staff = "down"
     f,4 \change Staff = "up" f' f''2
     f'4 f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f'
  }
  \context Staff = "down" {
     \clef bass
     \key f \major
     s8*2/3
\once \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #2
 a c'
     \change Staff = "up"
     s a' c'' s2
     \change Staff = "down"
     f4 f f f f f f f f f f f

It doesn't seem to have any effect. However, here's a cheap and dirty
work-around that I came up with that gives me just the output I
wanted:

\version "2.4.1"

\score {
 \context PianoStaff <<
  \context Staff = "up" {
     \key f \major
     \change Staff = "down"
     f,4 \change Staff = "up" f' f''2
     f'4 f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f' f'
  }
  \context Staff = "down" {
     \clef bass
     \key f \major
     s32 s8*2/3  a c'
     \change Staff = "up"
     s8*1/3 a'8*2/3 c'' s8*1/3 s4...
     \change Staff = "down"
     f4 f f f f f f f f f f f

Notice that I just added an extra 32nd note of silence before the
first 8ths, took away a little of the extra silence before the second
set, and made it all up at the end of the measure.

Thanks again for your suggestion, Graham!

Carl