Re: Different version for FreeBSD

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Different version for FreeBSD
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:33:16 +0100

If he has some experience of compiling programs, it shouldn't
be that hard to simply take the source code package of version
2.4.5 from www.lilypond.org, carefully read INSTALL.txt to find
out what other programs have to be upgraded first and then build
it. Otherwise, the information at http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2005-03/msg00139.html
might provide some assistance.

   /Mats

Gordon Gilbert wrote:
Hi all!

I keep waiting (in vain, so it seems) for someone to update the FreeBSD ports collection version of Lilypond. My 2.2.2 is working just fine, but I am hoping to use some of the features of later versions.

Is there a version available that could be installed on FreeBSD 5.3? And if so, how would I do it, and make sure that all the dependencies were looked after, etc.? Also, how would I make it a "dual" installation, so that if a later version didn't work, I could simply revert to 2.2.2 (which is broken on FreeBSD ports, and cannot be reinstalled in the regular manner.)

Keep in mind that I'm not a programmer, but a musician. I have done some of my own geekish work, but under the careful supervision of my son, the genius. He is coming up for this Easter weekend, so if I had an answer before then, he could aid me in doing this.

Thanks in advance,

Rev. Gordon Gilbert

    +=====================================================+
    |                 Angels' Roost Farm                  |
    |       Rev. Dn. Gordon Gilbert & Susan Gilbert       |
    |                   705-549-5056                      |
    |                address@hidden                  |
    |                address@hidden                 |

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing