Re: Wrong characters with jEdit

From: stk
Subject: Re: Wrong characters with jEdit
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 01:05:46 -0400 (EDT)

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> However, I recommend to upgrade to LilyPond version 2.6, which uses
> UTF-8 encoding and can handle all such special characters without
> any problems.

The only unicode characters I ever need are in fact, on rare occasions,
some Latin-1 character (à é è ç ö ü etc.) in a song title.

The ASCII editor I use accepts these characters, but then LilyPond \markup
just skips them.

I would rather not switch to a utf-8 editor.  Is there any way to
incorporate Latin-1 (or unicode) characters into an ASCII LilyPond file,
using HTML notation or some other trick?  It wouldn't have to be
"convenient" if it would just work.  I have used only LP's built-in roman
and sans fonts; would using an external TTF (TrueType) font give me access
to Latin-1 characters that LilyPond would recognize?

I'm running LilyPond 2.6.0 under Windows.

-- Tom