Re: The limits of StaffGroup nesting

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: The limits of StaffGroup nesting
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 00:29:13 +0100

On Friday 11 November 2005 23.25, Trevor Bača wrote:

> The InnerStaffGroup system start bracket needs manual nudging to the
> left, but both brackets are present around the expected staves.
>

> Adding another InnerStaffGroup doesn't do what we might expect, however:

The type of a context can never be the same as the type of any of its
children.

If you want to increase the nesting arbitrarily, you'll probably have to
create new context types, using \layout { \context{...} } blocks. Look at
engraver-init.ly for ideas. If you nest in the right order, you can get
pretty deep nesting without tweaking, but it seldom makes sense:
\new StaffGroup <<
  \new ChoirStaff <<
    \new InnerStaffGroup <<
      \new PianoStaff <<