Re: D.C. al Coda?

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: D.C. al Coda?
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 17:58:17 -0500

On Thursday 24 November 2005 01:07 pm, Bernard Hurley wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 00:48 -0600, S L Raymond wrote:
> > I'm running Ubuntu Breezy and for some reason, even after apt-get
> > update, 2.2 is the latest version it will fetch.
>
> You probably have apt set up so that it only knows about Debian stable
> packages. The latest version in Debian stable is 2.2.6. To find out
what
> versions you computer knows about run:
>
>       apt-cache showpkg lilypond | head
>
> (The head is needed to stop everything scrolloing off the screen).
When
> I do this I get (slightly abbreviated):
>
> 2.6.3-9
(/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.uk.debian.org_debian_dists_testing_main_binary-i386_Packages)_Packages)
> (/var/lib/dpkg/status)
> 2.4.5-2
(/var/lib/apt/lists/demudi.agnula.org_packages_demudi_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages)
> 2.2.6-3
(/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.uk.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages)

> This tells me that my computer knows about versions 2.6.3, 2.4.5 and
> 2.2.6 (the number after the hyphen is a Debian package version). The
> (/var/lib/dpkg/status) tells me which version I have installed on the
> machine - in my case 2.2.6. If it were not installed I could run:
>
>       apt-get lilypond=2.6.3-9
>
> If you computer does not know about version 2.6.3 then try adding
> something like:
>
> deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
>
> to /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> then run "apt-get update" and try running apt-cache again. You may
find
> you need to upgrade other packages into the "testing" package stream.
> Apt will tell you that when you try to upgrade lilypond.  It may also
> tell you that it wants to delete certain packages - the usual solution
> is to upgrade these as well - if you still need them. If you need to
do
> a lot of this it will take you a ling time using apt-cache and apt-get
> and you would be better off using aptitude (of course you will need to
> install that if you don'r have it!)

This is a great summary of how to do this, but there is one more thing
that can be done to stay out of trouble:

$ apt-get -s install lilypond=xxxx

The -s is for simulate.  If you always do this before installing
anything for real it can save you some surprises, and surprises
are hardly ever good.  daveA

--
Free download of technical exercises worth a lifetime of practice:
"Dynamic Guitar Technique": http://www.openguitar.com/instruction.html