Re: Context - A recommendable Windows-Editor for Lilypond

From: Brian Haddon
Subject: Re: Context - A recommendable Windows-Editor for Lilypond
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 18:27:38 +0000 (UTC)

martial <martial <at> cathemline.org> writes:

> > > I think Context is a wonderful alternative to the complicated
> > > editors emacs and vim.
>
> I am blind  or utf-8 is not supported
>
> http://forum.context.cx/index.php?topic=678.0

Though (relatively) new to LilyPond, I have used ConTEXT for some time, and can
recommend it.  As mentioned in the first post, it makes a great IDE for LilyPond
on Windows.  You can compile your scripts, view the PDF's, play the MIDI's and
even summon LilyPond help files, all from within ConTEXT.  Syntax highlighting
is easy to set up (the hardest part is typing in all the keywords). :)

Unfortuneatly, UTF-8 is not supported.  (A new version of ConTEXT is pending,
but it not yet clear whether this new version will support UTF-8.)

I ran into problems with this lack of UTF-8 support when trying to insert the
copyright symbol into the copyright notice.  Of course, LilyPond needs UTF-8 to
encode non-ASCII characters.  I got around this by using a UTF-8-aware editor to
enter the copyright symbol, then saving my script in UTF-8 format.  ConTEXT will
load, edit and save these UTF-8 files just fine (they'll even appear as UTF-8 in
the status bar).